Sunday, January 22, 2006

Miso crusted salmon

.


I know that I wrote in my previous post that I suck at cooking fish. One of the exceptions to that rule is salmon. The fact is that with its high level of fat it is quite resistant to long cooking time (for a fish at least) and if you are undercooking it, it can still taste awesome. Salmon is a very forgiving fish.

Two days ago, having very little time to cook, I simply applied a mixture made of an aged dark barley miso, maple syrup, water and lemon juice to a filet of salmon and baked it for a few minutes before putting it under the broiler. The result was delicious although I admit to putting too much of this otherwise delicious glaze on the salmon. Marinating the fish for an hour or so might also help.



We served it with a red pepper and zucchinis (cut in long strips with a mandolin) sauté which I generously seasoned with black pepper. I generally think zucchinis and black pepper form a perfect match but this time their flavour clashed with those from the fish. I'll have to think of a better way to serve this miso crusted salmon next time. And yes, the lemon wedges do look silly but a bit of sourness helps cutting through the saltiness of the miso and the richness of the salmon.

2 comments:

Taylor Tran said...

Looks yummy! Can you post a recipe for this?

MagicTofu said...

Hello Taylor, I did not use a particular recipe but simply made a spreadable paste using the miso, some maple syrup and lemon juice. Then, you simply have to paint it on you favourite piece of fish and bake for a few minutes (say 8-10 for a thick piece of salmon) in a hot oven, preferably under the salamander for a better crust.