Tuesday, January 24, 2006

A steak diner for our new prime minister Mr. Stephen Harper

.
.


Yesterday was Election Day in Canada and a new prime minister was elected: conservative leader Stephen Harper. His party will form a new minority government replacing the Liberals who suffered greatly from a series of scandals. In honour of our new prime minister (even though I am personally a bit afraid of seeing Canada taking a conservative turn) I offer you this steak cooked just a few days ago.

This fairly new conservative party has its roots in Albertan cowboy country although it has now gained a certain pan-Canadian recognition during the last campaign. This is why I chose to honour Mr. Harper with a steak diner. Steaks usually come from expensive cuts of beef which some will be able to afford more often after the promised tax cuts. At the same time, however, it is a fairly traditional, down to earth and, at times, maybe a little bit boring meal, which is, as far as I am concerned, at the image of the conservatives and their leader.

So here is your diner Mr. Harper. Congratulation on your victory. Although you would probably have prefered a majority, there are many reason for you to be proud and to celebrate.

I’m sorry there is no dessert. Since I badly lost my election (let’s just say that I didn’t vote liberal either), I can’t offer much more love to you right now Mr. Harper. It's better for your health anyway. However, I promise that if you come to eat at my table to chat politics and maybe calm my anxieties about some of your proposed policies I'll bake you something nice and sweet. My home is quite humble but I don't live that far from 24 Sussex drive.

By the way, you can recognise the mushroom broth used for my ravioli which has been transformed into a sauce and the gnocchi which were meant to accompany the steak.

2 comments:

Cyndi said...

Wow. A steak. Simple. Much different from your all-day Paper Chef blast. Congratulations on your win! I'm loking forward to the next one. I'm glad I discovered your blog!

Randi said...

I wish I could have voted, not that it would have made a difference. I just hope Harper isnt as bad as most ppl think he'll be.