Monday, November 14, 2005

Simple simple simple asparagus salad

Again, I am sorry for this out of season dish... but, as I said in a previous post, asparagus are out of season but we still get some very nice ones from South America (I know, there is an ecological price to this but, in Canada, nothing is in season from October to July except snow).

When I was a kid, most of the veggies that we ate at either of my parents' homes were boiled or steamed and served with salt and sometime a bit of butter. They were good but my point is that they were always cooked and served the same way as side dishes. When growing up, I realized that vegetables do not have to be cooked and served this way all the time and that they can also take center stage.

The problem is that most of the time, you just don't want to complicate diner too much... After all, we only have a very limited number of hours per day! A solution, that many of us have figured out, I am sure, is to simply substitutes butter and salt for other condiments such as flavourful oils, vinegars, mustards, etc. In this case, I used sherry vinegar, olive oil, coarse salt and grinded pepper... it took no time and was delicious! I think I am really in the process of simplifying my cooking these days and I enjoy food like never before! (maybe it's because I started to write about it too...)

No comments: