Thursday, November 10, 2005

Another failed bread experiment

Yesterday I recycled my curry paste to make an Indian inspired diner. We had a curry chicken dish resembling butter chicken and some extra spicy sauteed vegetables. I also made two different raitas with cucumber and mint.

My dish were all good and was quite proud of my work... but then I was struck by a flash of stupidity: I would make my own version of nan bread!? The problem was that I had no yeast at hand and no recipe to follow... so I decided to improvise a pan bread based on some vague memories of a bannock bread my dad once cooked at home. The problem was that I still wanted my dough to raise a bit... so I've decided to add baking powder to my dough. I don't know why but I thought it was a good idea.

The result? A nice looking flat bread... but a disgusting chalky texture. At least I tried!

No comments: