Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Fridge cleaning mussels

I bought mussels today. I didn't plan to buy them but they were on sale at the grocery store. Sometimes, when both my wallet and my belly agree, I just can’t resist.

Since we have tons of veggies in the fridge, I’ve decided to cook the mussels with some of them: carrots, leek, zucchini, celery… Simple but tasty veggies. To this I added garlic, shallot, wine, saffron and cream. The result was good, although far from perfect since the vegetable added their own liquid to the broth, diluting the flavour of the wine, cream and saffron which I wanted to be more powerful.

Although I do not recommend this recipe, here is what I’ve done tonight:



1. I sliced the vegetables into julienne strips with the exception of the celery (to avoid its stringiness).







2. I placed some saffron in a glass of hot white wine to make an infusion.






3. Then, I sauteed half my garlic, the shallot and the leeks in a little bit of olive oil.







4. Deglazed the pan with wine and added the rest of the veggies.









5. Seasoned with salt and pepper








6. Added the cream.







7. Then the saffron infusion.








8. And the mussels








9. IAfter a good stir, it simmered in a covered pot for a few minutes.









10. I then adjusted the seasoning and served.







As I said, I was good but not perfect... I which my sauce could be thicker and that the saffron flavour would stand out more than it did. There is always space for improvement!

1 comment:

MagicTofu said...

Ok, now's the best thing that came out from this recipe:

I recycled the broth and vegetables left from cooking this recipe and made a very good soup with it by simply mixing the whole thing with my immersion mixer and re-adjusting seasoning.

I would do this recipe again just to get that wonderful soup!

It's funny how great things can come out of failed experiments.