Saturday, October 29, 2005

Zucchini spaghettis

.
In an attempt to eat healthier food without sacrificing taste, I cooked myself some ginger and garlic chicken that I served on top of what I call zucchini spaghetti. Zucchini spaghettis are simply made of zucchini (courgette) that where sliced into fine strips through a mandoline and sautéed rapidly in olive oil and garlic. I don't believe in that crazy no-carbs fad but let’s admit it, real pasta have far more calories than a vegetable like the zucchini...

I'm not a bit fan of kitchen gadgets but a mandoline do save time and helps at experimenting with new textures. I cooked this dish in a few minutes and I just can't picture myself doing the same thing with a knife at lunchtime.

This dish was OK although I could have done something better with my zucchini... a bit of that very nice aged Chinese vinegar we have on the shelf at home... I'm glad I added tomatoes to my dish though, I found it added enough acidity and flavour to the zucchini which honestly were a bit bland.

Another nice version of this dish would be to use balsamic vinegar, some chicken without the garlic and ginger and a sprinkle of parmigiano... some olives and anchovies maybe? Oh! Oh! What about lemon and orange zest?

No comments: