Thursday, November 03, 2005

Simplicity in a soup

Since we have tons of leftovers in the fridge, I didn't feel the necessity to cook today... But I still prepared a very simple fennel soup to accompany our microwaved diner.

I simply sauteed one finely chopped shallot in butter before deglazing with Pernod (for that extra anis flavour). To this I added one sliced fennel bulb and a potato as well as a few fennel seeds in a tea infuser (again to accentuate the anis flavour), pinches of salt, white pepper and nutmeg and enough water to cover. It simmered for a few minutes before I pureed the whole thing with my hand mixer. I finished the soup with cream. Simple, simple, simple!

It was a bit too thin to my taste however. When I'll decide to serve the leftover, I could easily make a roux in a sauce pan before adding the soup in order to make it a bit thicker.

No comments: