Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Quinoa soup

When I visited Peru a few years ago, I was often served quinoa soup and loved it. Most of the time, it was a soup made of quinoa, potatoes and some green veggies that I was never truly able to identify. I recently tried to recreate a similar soup using what was available to me at home. I used my chicken and turkey stock as a base, fava beans, some old root vegetables that were sitting in my fridge drawer for too long as well as some collard green.

The result was surprisingly good. I attribute much of that goodness to the broth I used but maybe it is the cold outside which makes us crave warm soupy dishes like this one. A bit more quinoa and potatoes instead of carrots and turnips would have made this soup more authentic but who cares if its good?

No comments: